Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Colorado Fishing Paradise

The Arkansas River



     Hey everyone! I was digging through some old photos the other day and came across a treasure trove from a fishing trip with my brother Dave. These pictures instantly transported me back to the heart of Colorado, and I couldn't resist sharing the memories with you all.


     Now, I know many of you know I've moved to Texas, and while I love the Lone Star state, it just doesn't compare to Colorado when it comes to fishing (or hunting, for that matter). Colorado is home to some of the most incredible fishing in the world, with its breathtaking mountain scenery, crystal-clear streams, and stunning forests. It's truly a paradise for anglers.

     The pictures I'm sharing today were taken on the Arkansas River, just west of the Royal Gorge area, winding through Sheepshead Canyon. This river is a haven for rainbow trout,

with a few browns making an appearance as well. The best fishing happens in the early morning or late evening. The sun can warm up the canyon during the day, driving the trout towards the bottom and slowing the action down.

     The Arkansas River is a fly and lure-only stream, meaning no live bait allowed. Also, keep in mind that some sections are designated as "Gold Medal" streams, with a strict catch-and-release policy. But don't worry, there are plenty of spots where you can catch your own breakfast, lunch, or even dinner!


     Camping options abound along the river, with both paid and free sites available. Just be prepared for chilly nights, especially during the colder months. And always be aware of the potential for snow in winter and flash flooding in the summer.


     While the river isn't always crowded, some of the best fishing spots require a little bit of climbing to reach. The effort is definitely worth it, though! The only time I’ve seen it get really crowded is during the summer months when float fishermen and whitewater rafters come
through. They're usually gone in about 10 minutes, leaving the fishing to continue.

     This trip was a truly relaxing experience. I could spend hours by the river, casting my line and simply enjoying the tranquility of the surroundings. The area is also home to plenty of wildlife, including deer, bighorn sheep, and even bears and mountain lions (although I haven't seen those personally). I really miss this river and long to return someday.

     If you're a fisherman looking for a truly unforgettable trout fishing experience, the Arkansas River needs to be on your bucket list. You won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I miss that more than hunting, now that I am older. We had many a trip, eating fresh trout right fter the catch. The magic lure too.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments clean, other wise they will be deleted